Wednesday 27 August 2008

Your Piston's coming to the boil!

So, collected the new piston from Mr Papworth last night (many thanks Mike!), I met him at The Griff Classic car meet (informal pub car park meeting).

Bumped into our very own Chris Allen, he was dropping his car off to Mike to, and I quote "To shut the bloody thing up"...........new exhaust I think!!

Also was a very tidy MKII PI........... (no not mine!) a white PI BWK581K, which is weird as I used to own (and now Craig Bennett does) BWK14K which is also a white PI............

Anywaay, this evening I had to fit the new piston to the connecting rod........... which won't just push in........ needs to be heated.

So, gudgeon pin in the freezer for 15 minutes, and then I boiled up the piston and the little end of the connecting rod in a sacuepan of water............

At exactly this moment Sam came home and thought I had made a start on dinner................."What are we having then?" she asked.........

I guess my cynical reply of "goujons on Piston on a connecting rod mousse, served with frozen gudgeon pin drizzled in 20/50"............. didn't really go down too well......... opps!!

Anyway, it just slotted in, and the two circlips dropped in, all done in less than a minute!!

Excellent!

Now, to fit it. I was going to do that this evening.......... but I really haven't the drive to do this tonight. I think I'll rebuild the rocker shaft and paint the timing cover this evening............!

No comments: