Tuesday, 26 August 2008

Engine Rebuild Part 3.......... Disaster!!!

So, today the plan was to get the bottom end on the engine back rebuilt.

First problem came when I put the first piston in with its new rings............. it wouldn't move!!

After some checking I found that the box they came in stated 74.8mm diameter.......... when they should be 74.7mm...... hmmmm. When I checked a ring in the bore, guess what........... no ring gap! Bugger!

I spoke to the supplier (no names here!!) and they were very helpful and told me that after checking their entire stock, all the rings were the wrong size and they would have to go back to the manufacturor............ could I wait a few weeks???

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 36 days to the RBRR, no chance!


I then dug around in my stock and found a set of Cords rings............. far better quality (so why didn't I use these in the first place??!?) marked at 74.7mm..... right off we go!!


The bores were de-glazed using a special tool. Got it from Machine Mart for £20 and its wonderful. The bores are now perfect with no shine on them at all. No lip either which is unusual considering the engine has done 150k!!
All was going well, until I got to piston number 6.................. disaster.

Part of the ring valley has broken........... so the piston ring fell out in pieces and a piece of the piston fell out too!!

A quick phone call to Mike Papworth and I'm just off to see him to pick up 1 new Stanpart original 2500S piston.................excellent!

Meanwhile, I got the main bearings and the thrusts in.

So, new piston, ring it, big end in and bolted up, then the oil pump can go on, sump on and the bottom end will be done................

To be continued..............

1 comment:

Dave Powell said...

BTW having no gap is a bonus :)

Means you can SET the gap yourself :)

I wish all my rings came with no gaps!