Thursday 14 August 2008

Engine Rebuild part I

So, on the 2004 RBRR the engine in the S estate started to burn severe amounts of oil. I must rebuild that, I thought.

So, in preparation for the 2008 RBRR, I have started.................... (!!! yeah yeah, I know, well I've been busy.......... ok?)

So, after spending loads of cash with Messers Witor, Pearson and EJ Wards..........

Last weekend I took the front suspension off (found the huge amount of play in the front end to be the PAS Rack..............!) dropped the sump and had a look at the bearings.

The shells are worn, but originals.......... so new set of mains and big ends purchased.

The rings (proper Cords oil savers with a Ridge-dodger in the top.......) were an ebay bargain last year. Proper Witor oil pump, new unleaded cylinder head, timing chain, rocker shaft etc etc.

Being as it is a weedy S engine, I decided to give it some ommmmph and bought on of Witors "special" cams...... designed for the S, and the correct needles and jets. Meant to give 30bhp extra............... nice!

This evening, I took the head off. My mate Brian is coming over tomorrow evening to fit and time up the new cam......... I don't even know where to start with that!!

I was surprised to not have one head stud shear or even be difficult to get out............... even more amazing to find the valves have no recession at all (unlike this countries economy!!!) and even more hugley amazing........... I cannot detect the slightest ridge at the top of the bores!!!!

There is a carbon ring at the top, but once that is off.......... perfect!! Its done 150k and the engine has never been apart........... weird!!!

So, tomorrow the cam is being fitted (new cam, cam followers, chain, tensioner, sprockets, bolts and tab washers all at the ready!) then hopefully Saturday I can start doing the rings and shells.

I bought a proper Glaze buster today from Machine mart to de-glaze the bores, then I can fit the new rings, big ends, mains, thrust washers, oil pump and then put the sump back on.

Pop the head on, I'm going to replace every hose under the bonnet as they all look a bit sad.

Rebuild the rocker assembly.

Might even give the block a clean and repaint in black engine paint.........

New PAS rack and track rod ends to go on.

Refurb the carbs.

Then its a small spot of welding on the front chassis legs and then off for an MOT, intime to do about 500 miles running before the RBRR...............

Hmmmmmm. Why am I sitting here????? Loads to do!

(sorry, no pictures today........... put everything away before I remembered to get my camera........ more next time......... promise!!

No comments: