Monday 31 January 2011

Breakers, Diffs and boot floors

Forgot to upload these! Couple of weekends ago I popped over to see Marc Cheney to rob some bits of his breaker 2.5PI estate. Its been sitting for many many years now and its looking very sad. It did yield some useful bits of trim that I was missing. Got the stainless steel gutter trims (mine were bent), some salvaged trim clips, and some interior trim which was AWOL on mine.

 We were planning to have a go at starting it as its got a very special PI engine which is destined to go in Marc's MKI estate (when he gets round to it!) But, some missing components and a very wet garage which led to a very wet engine, we decided to give that a miss!
 Right, back up to date now! Dropped the diff off at Mick Papworth on Saturday. He popped the back off and declared it to be a very good useable 3.45:1 diff. Just what I was hoping to hear! As a precaution, due to 34 years standing he's going to strip it and replace all the bearings and seals for me. Then its just a coat of paint and it can go back in.
 Sunday I started cleaning off the underneath with a rotary wire brush. Its very nice under there, couple of patches of surface rust which needed killing off with my favorite Bilt Hamer products. Whilst that was drying between coats I decided to indulge myself and start putting some shiney bits on! New rivet clips for the tailgate and rear wings first. They all needed drilling out and then riveting in place. Simple job, still took an hour though!

 The rust cure needs to dry for 48 hours, but the boot floor was perfect. after a clean up and masking I shutzed the boot floor with my usual Waxoyl shutz.
 Looks pretty and will keep it nice and protected!

No comments: