Saturday 13 September 2008

Getting there........

I drove the estate today for the first time since the engine rebuild.......... all I can say is wow.......... I am so pleased with my little self. The engine runs perfectly, good oil pressure, no noises, no rattles and it does seem to pull well............. can't really find out yet as I need to run it in first!

I took it to Craig Bennett's garage for some welding on the front chassis rails. Nothing serious, just a small patch............. what is serious is the huge hole we found in the boot floor....... right under the tank in the "fake" spare wheel well which is a carry-over from the old MKI's. So, next Saturday we are going to take the tank out, cut out the useless "bulge" and re-create a flat boot floor.

It's not an MOT failure, so the MOT is still on for Monday pm. Fingers crossed.

When I got it home I carried on tinkering. The new wood I had re-veneered needing fitting. I'd done the door trims.... (the easy bit!) but I now had to do all the dash and the radio surround.

I'd had the radio surround modified to have the hole a modern stero size, so while I was at it, I put the new stereo and cd changer in.

What a result, I think it looks great!




While I had the dash out I put in an extra 12v cigar lighter on the passengers side parcel shelf. Might come in useful on the RBRR for the Sat Nav, Road Angel and phone charger.

I had a new gerlever trim panel "in stock" so what went on too.

It really has lifted the inside, looks much better now.

Tomorrow is cleaning and (dare I say it...........................) POLISHING time depending on the weather. Then its MOT Monday, tax and then the open road beckons..............!

No comments: