Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register National 2015

Well, I honestly didn't think we would make it. Some last minute engine gremlins crept in which meant a last minute head swap, but after burning the midnight oil and with much assistance from Andy Roberts, Libby arrived at the National in Ashbourne on Friday lunchtime. Not towing the caravan, its not quite ready to do that, so we had to do lots of trips with Triumph's and Mercedes and ferrying carvans, children and Sam about......... but, it was there. That is all that matters.

After a good clean and polish (believe it or not, I had not had chance to do this before!) on the field on Saturday she looked stunning. Lots of positive comments, so thank you all.
There are some minor things to finish. Sill trims, sun visors, get the boot carpet fitting better etc etc, but apart from that, its done and sounds and feels great.
I'm amazed how smooth and powerful it feels, despite limiting to 3000rpm and light throttle settings and the new engine only has 500 miles on it, it still wants to go. I no plan on using it more and gradually working the new engine up, with lots of oil and filter changes, and finishing off the trim.
In the next few weeks it will be at the Standard Triumph Marque day at Shelsley Walsh, and then it has an appointment with a major classic car magazine for a photoshoot and article.

Sunday, 7 June 2015

FINISHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was determined to finish today! Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 Register National is only a few weeks away and I need to get on with running it in so it can tow. I have a head torque and tuning session booked at Andy's next Sunday, so today we my last chance to get the little jobs finished.

 First of all I fitted the towing gear, proper Chrome Flipper with modern twin electrics, properly wired in with charging relays. Looks neat! I then spent a happy few hours wiring it all in.
 With the wiring finished, I could get the trim panels done. The N/S boot panel needed gluing back together.
 All the new wiring ans relays could then be clipped out of the way and the parcel shelf refitted.
 Looking bare..........................................
 But a few hours later, problems!! The new carpet is so thick, it has made all of the boot boards about 1 inch too wide. I need to undo one of the carpets, cut the boot board down, then reglue it down. I also need some longer rivets to finish the boot trims, but this is only minor.

 I always said, the last job I would do would be to fit the Stag badges to the rear wings, and when I did that, I knew it would be done. Quite ceremonious.

After 5 and a half years or work, I am done. (almost!)